Powered by Roundtable

Henry Bolte is off to a hot start in the majors, and now he gets to etch his name into the A's-Giants rivalry

A's outfielder Henry Bolte is two games into his big-league career, playing for the team that he grew up rooting for. Born in San Francisco, he chose the A's while living in the South Bay.

Growing up, Coco Crisp was the guy who caught his eye. By the end of middle school, his attention had shifted to Matt Chapman and Matt Olson. Bolte was drafted by the A's in 2022 out of high school in Palo Alto. 

This weekend, he'll get his chance to play in the rivalry's latest iteration — no longer across the Bay Bridge, but up I-80 in Sacramento.

"I'm excited for that series for sure," Bolte told Athletics Roundtable earlier this week. "I lived with [Daniel] Susac for a few years in the minor leagues, so it's fun to be able to say, 'hey, I know that guy.' I know this guy pretty well, and playing against him, it maybe adds a little fuel to that." 

Giants catcher Daniel Susac was a first-round selection of the Athletics in the 2022 MLB Draft, 37 selections ahead of Bolte. This offseason he was left unprotected ahead of the Rule 5 Draft, and ended up being selected by the Minnesota Twins, then traded to the Giants the same day — a decision that looks costly now.

The A's are struggling to find a solid backup catcher, adding Jonah Heim and eventually releasing Austin Wynns on May 12. Meanwhile the Giants feel pretty good with Susac behind the plate — good enough to trade Patrick Bailey six weeks into Susac's MLB career. 

Bolte hitting the ground running

Henry Bolte has had quite the debut with the A's. In his first game on Wednesday night, he went 2-for-2 with a walk and a sac-fly, earning his first RBI. He ended up with a couple of authenticated keepsake balls commemorating the run batted in and his first hit. 

He also added a diving catch in center, and showed off his speed by beating out an infield single. Bolte was drafted as a potential five-tool player, and he put them all on display in game one.

"I didn't see it at all," Bolte said of his first hit, which went just over the third baseman's glove and into left field. "I was just running to first, hoping to beat the throw, and heard the crowd. I figured something happened. It was awesome. The feeling of getting that first one was unbelievable." 

He followed that up with a more humble 1-for-4 outing on Thursday afternoon, but he did notch his first stolen base in the majors. He'd accumulated 17 swipes in Triple-A Las Vegas, and that ability will add a new dimension to this roster. 

His power and speed combo tends to remind A's fans of a former Oakland great, and they just so happen to share a number now that Bolte is in the majors. 

The number on his back

In 1988, Jose Canseco put on his own power and speed display, becoming baseball's first 40/40 player, hitting 42 home runs and stealing 40 bases. In the 1989 World Series, Canseco had the best series of his postseason career, going 5-for-14 (.357) with a .500 OBP, a home run, three RBI and a stolen base. The A's swept the Giants and earned their most recent championship.

 Bolte is the latest A's player to wear the number 33, and it was a happy accident during spring training, where he was given the number initially. He was also handed 33 when he stepped into the clubhouse in Sacramento. 

"I picked it in Triple-A because it was there in spring. I love it. It's been treating me well." 

This weekend with the Giants in town, he'll have his first chance to add his own chapter to the rivalry's history, and perhaps even torment the black and orange like a previous No. 33.