Powered by Roundtable
TonyCapobianco@RoundtableIO profile imagefeatured creator badge
Tony Capobianco
May 4, 2026
Updated at May 4, 2026, 17:45
featured

While touted prospects like Agustín Ramírez and Owen Caissie stumble, unheralded hitters Otto Lopez and Xavier Edwards are fueling Miami’s surprising second-place surge in the NL East.

MIAMI — At 16-18 and second place in the National League East, the Miami Marlins could go far if their prized prospects start to catch up with their diamonds-in-the-rough. 

The original vision was that the Marlins would be led back into postseason contention with the nucleus of Connor Norby, Jakob Marsee, Graham Pauley, Agustín Ramírez, and Owen Caissie.

Instead, the trio of Liam Hicks, Xavier Edwards, and Otto Lopez is carrying the lineup while the aforementioned group finds the way. Lopez is second in the NL with a .341 batting average, with Edwards is third at .336 and Hicks' .309 is ranked 11th. 

Caissie made a great first impression with the Marlins during the first five games of the season, slashing .400/.444/.733 with a home run and six RBI. He struggled through April with a .167 batting average and a .469 OPS. In 19 more games he had only three more RBI in April. 

“He’s not the first young player that has come up and struggled and had to make adjustments,” Marlins manager Clayton McCullough told reporters before Friday's home game against the Phillies. “His swing is fine. It’s learning how to go up there with an approach each at bat and be convicted in that approach.”

Ramírez has hit .230 with a .663 OPS in 113 at-bats this season after emerging in 2025 with 21 home runs and 16 stolen bases. His main cause for being demoted to Triple-A Jacksonville is his defense. 

“He needs to get better behind the plate,” McCullough said. “He’s committed to that and we are committed to continue to work with him. As long as he keeps doing that, that’s all you can ask for from a player.”

Among the group, the one who has made recent progress with his bat is Norby. After going 2-for-12 in the first week to start the season, Norby posted a .323 on-base percentage and three home runs with 11 RBI through April. 

All of this was done with him moving from third base to first base after Christopher Morel, who was signed as a free agent first baseman -- despite not playing that position in the Majors -- missed a few weeks due to an injury sustained before opening day. Even with Morel now in the mix, McCullough said it is Norby’s position to lose. 

“Norby has earned the right to get plate appearances,” McCullough said. “He’s had a very solid month. He has shown improvement in at-bat quality [compared with] last year. He deserves to get opportunities.” 

Pauley and Marsee are both batting below .200 so far this season, but speed and defense are keeping both in the lineup. Development is still a priority with the Marlins, even with winning and competing within their grasp. 

The law of averages in baseball suggests that one or two of these young players will crack the code and get on a run that will continue making the Marlins competitive. It’s a matter of when more so than if. 

Join our ROUNDTABLE community! It's free to join. Share your thoughts, engage with our Roundtable writers, and chat with fellow members.

Download the free Roundtable APP, and stay even more connected!