Powered by Roundtable
bobmccullough@RTBIO profile imagefeatured creator badge
Bob McCullough
6d
Updated at May 12, 2026, 13:17
featured

The San Diego Padres lost top pitching prospect Humberto Cruz as he self-deported after committing a misdemeanor.

Top pitching prospects often undergo a wayward journey in their efforts to make it to the big leagues, but it’s hard to beat the waywardness of Humberto Cruz’s journey. The Padres top pitching prospect elected to self-deport to Mexico after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge related to a human smuggling operation in Southern Arizona, according to a report from Dennis Lin, Sam Blum and Jesus Cano of The Athletic. 

Cruz’s plea, which was made four months before he was to be placed on the minor league restricted list, resolved the criminal case against him and made his removal from the United States all but certain. 

According to sources, the pitcher’s full name as listed in the federal case is Humberto Federico Cruz-Guajardo, and he’s from Monterrey Mexico. He signed with the Padres in February 2024 for a bonus of $750,000, and while he was expected to miss the 2026 season after undergoing elbow surgery last September, he remains among San Diego’s top five prospects according to multiple publications. 

Cruz did issue a lengthy apology through his agent and attorneys, the first part of which read as follows:

“To my teammates, the organization, our fans, and my family, I want to express my sincere regret for a recent lapse in judgment that has caused disappointment to many people I deeply respect. I understand that my actions have fallen short of the standards expected of me as a professional and as a representative of this organization. I take responsibility for my conduct and recognize the impact it has had on my teammates, the club, and those who support us.” 

After that Cruz pledged cooperation with authorities and the Padres in his statement, and his situation includes details that are borderline bizarre. Cruz was stopped by Border Patrol agents near Lukeville, Ariz., in a brown 2020 Mercedes SUV with Mexico plates and a single occupant. 

The vehicle then added more occupants, at which point agents stopped the SUV and found that while Cruz was entering legally on a visa, two of the occupants were Mexican citizens who were in the US illegally according to the federal complaint, and one had been deported four days earlier through Nogales, Ariz. 

Cruz waived his Miranda rights and told agents he had responded to a social media advertisement seeking drivers to “pick up people for easy money.” The complaint added that Cruz said he was offered $1,000 for each person he transported, he also knew “they were illegal.” 

Crus turned 17 just before he signed with the Padres, and he pitched in 16 games split between the Arizona Complex League and Low-A Elsinore. His ERA was 7.20, but according to Keith Law of The Athletic he displayed what some scouts described as mid-rotation upside. 

In February he underwent an internal brace surgery on his right elbow, and he was placed on the restricted list on March 13, with the list containing the stipulation that bars him from receiving a salary and bars him from using team facilities.

1