
Earlier this week, Arizona Diamondbacks star Corbin Carroll was ruled out of the upcoming World Baseball Classic because of a broken hamate bone.
Almost immediately after that development, Boston Red Sox star Roman Anthony was named as a possible replacement and on Friday, his inclusion on the roster was essentially confirmed.
Or so we think. As noted by Gabrielle Starr of the Boston Herald, Anthony has passed his Team USA physical, but his roster spot isn't assured yet. Starr says everyone is waiting on insurance "and such."
This is not a surprising development, because insurance has been the big buzz word of this World Baseball Classic cycle. It's been very hard to get, especially for those with injury histories.
As noted by Yahoo! Sports, insurance has been a problem for players who meet the following criteria:
Anthony missed nearly all of September, and the Red Sox' playoff run, with an oblique strain. That, by nature of the rules, should make him more difficult to insure and put his participation in question.
The top prospect in baseball at the time of his promotion in 2025, Anthony could quickly turn into one of the best hitters in the entire league. In 257 at-bats last season for the Red Sox, he hit .292 with eight homers, 32 RBIs and four stolen bases. He posted a .396 on-base percentage and a 140 OPS+. Unfortunately, he missed most of September - and the playoffs - with an oblique issue.
At just the age of 21, he figures to help anchor the middle of a Red Sox lineup that is working to contend for its first World Series title since 2018.
If Anthony does end up playing for Team USA, he'll be the sixth Red Sox' outfielder to leave spring training for the event. Jarren Duran (Mexico), Masataka Yoshida (Japan), Ceddanne Rafaela (Netherlands), Nate Eaton (Great Britain) and Wilyer Abreu (Venezuela) are all playing.
Manager Alex Cora has said that Kristian Campbell is going to work in the outfield this spring as the team tries to figure out the best plan forward for him, so there should be plenty of chances for him to shine in Grapefruit League play. Beyond that, there will be lots of minor leaguers and non 40-man roster players that get opportunities.
--Soon to be 33, Trevor Story says he has no interest in sitting more games in 2026. He played 157 last season and wants to play as much as possible in this campaign.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION:
Remember to join our RED SOX on ROUNDTABLE community, which is FREE! You can post your own thoughts, in text or video form, and you can engage with our Roundtable staff, as well as other Red Sox fans. If prompted to download the Roundtable APP, that's free too!